SubcategorieCommunity and Sustainable Development
COMMUNITY AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Investment projects are currently facing a complex scenario, and this is partly due to the increase in socio-environmental conflicts. To avoid or mitigate the emergence of such conflicts, or to ensure that they are successfully resolved, it is essential to work together with the communities involved.
At VGC Abogados we advise our clients, both remotely as well and in field work, regarding the legal and strategic aspects that must be taken into account to achieve successful community relations, which will allow the implementation of investment initiatives that can effectively contribute to sustainable development.
Our services include, among others:
– Advice on the application of the following legal bodies: (i) Law 19,253 on the Protection, Promotion and Development of Indigenous Peoples, (ii) Law 20,249 creating the Maritime Coastal Zone for Indigenous Peoples, and (iii) the ILO Convention 169 on Indigenous and Tribal Peoples in Independent Countries
– Assistance in early public participation processes, formal public participation processes and indigenous consultation processes, both within and outside the Environmental Impact Assessment System.
– Legal and strategic advice in the development of human environmental baselines and community impact assessment, as well as in the development of voluntary environmental commitments and mitigation, restoration and/or compensation measures.
– Legal and strategic advice in the elaboration of Resettlement Plans and Participatory Monitoring Programs.
– Assistance in relation to the conclusion of agreements and partnerships with local communities.
– Assistance in dialogue and negotiation processes with communities, ideally before the judicialization of conflicts, supporting the creation and implementation of mechanisms for the institutionalization of permanent dialogue among the parties.
– Advice on community participation in difficult circumstances such as situations of environmental damage, sanctioning procedures, among others.
– Legal advice in relation to the development and implementation of community relations strategies.
– Strategic advice on the identification and participation of relevant stakeholders and local, regional and national authorities.
– Advice in relation to the consideration of human rights in the development of investment projects